[Social Media]
Culture & History

Xi Urges Safety Crackdown After China Coal Mine Blast Kills 90

Deadly Shanxi explosion prompts rescue efforts and nationwide safety warnings

Naffah

At least 90 people were killed after a gas explosion tore through the Liushenyu Coal Mine in China’s northern Shanxi province, marking the country’s deadliest mining disaster in more than a decade.

State media said 247 workers were underground when the blast occurred at 19:29 local time on Friday in Qinyuan county.

More than 100 miners were rescued, while emergency teams continued searching for survivors amid difficult conditions at the site.

Twenty-seven injured workers were taken to hospital, with one reported to be in critical condition.

Authorities said many of the injuries were caused by inhalation of poisonous gas.

Safety Concerns

Chinese President Xi Jinping called for authorities nationwide to intensify workplace safety inspections and prevent similar incidents.

“All regions and departments must learn from the lessons of the accident, remain vigilant regarding workplace safety, thoroughly investigate, rectify all types of risks and hidden dangers, and resolutely prevent and curb the occurrence of major and serious accidents,” Xi said.

State media reported that carbon monoxide levels inside the mine had exceeded safe limits shortly before the explosion.

Some members of the mine’s management team, including the person responsible for overseeing operations, have reportedly been detained as investigators examine the cause of the blast.

The Ministry of Emergency Management dispatched 345 personnel from six rescue teams to assist operations.

Rescue crews faced obstacles after water accumulated near the explosion site, while officials said mine blueprints did not match actual underground conditions.

Industry Scrutiny

The Liushenyu mine had previously been listed by China’s National Mine Safety Administration as a site with “severe safety hazards” in 2024.

Tongzhou Group, the company operating the mine, reportedly received two administrative penalties in 2025 over safety issues.

Shanxi province remains China’s largest coal-producing region, accounting for more than a quarter of national output.

Video footage circulating online showed ambulances lined outside the mine entrance as families gathered nearby.

The disaster renewed scrutiny on China’s mining sector, where accidents have declined in recent years but continue to occur despite tighter regulations and crackdowns on illegal operations.

SCROLL FOR NEXT