U.S. Weighs Limited Strike as Iran Signals Openness to Deal

Tehran calls military build-up unhelpful while talks inch forward
 President Donald Trump delivers remarks to military families at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Friday, February 13, 2026.
President Donald Trump delivers remarks to military families at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Friday, February 13, 2026.[Daniel Torok/The White House]
Updated on
2 min read

Iran and the United States signaled sharply different approaches on Friday as diplomatic talks over Tehran’s nuclear program continued alongside an expanding American military presence in the Middle East.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran remains ready for diplomacy and suggested a negotiated agreement is within reach, even as President Donald Trump acknowledged he is considering a limited military strike against Iran.

Speaking to MS NOW, Araghchi described the recent U.S. military build-up, which includes two aircraft carriers and dozens of fighter jets, as “unnecessary and unhelpful.”

He said Iran’s nuclear program has no military solution and warned that force would bring “disastrous consequences” for the region and beyond.

Hours later, when asked whether he was weighing limited strikes to strengthen Washington’s negotiating position, Trump responded, “I guess I can say I am considering that.”

Diplomatic Signals

The two countries have held two rounds of talks over the past month, with officials on both sides describing the discussions as positive.

Araghchi said the sides agreed on guiding principles for negotiations and that Iran would submit a written draft proposal to U.S. negotiators led by envoy Steve Witkoff.

He added that “The US side has not asked for zero enrichment,” appearing to contrast with previous public statements from the Trump administration calling for a full dismantling of Iran’s nuclear program.

Tehran maintains it has the right to uranium enrichment under the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons and denies seeking a nuclear weapon, while expressing willingness to accept monitoring and limits.

Military Pressure

The diplomatic exchanges come amid renewed tensions following U.S. and Israeli strikes last year on three of Iran’s main nuclear facilities, which Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said “obliterated” the program.

The current status of Iran’s nuclear activities has not been confirmed publicly by international monitors, and the whereabouts of its highly enriched uranium remain unknown.

Trump has said Iran has 10 to 15 days to reach a deal and warned of severe consequences if it fails to do so, underscoring the high stakes as negotiations continue.

 President Donald Trump delivers remarks to military families at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Friday, February 13, 2026.
Trump Orders Release of U.S. Files on UFOs and Aliens
 President Donald Trump delivers remarks to military families at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Friday, February 13, 2026.
Trump Signals 10-Day Window for Iran Nuclear Accord
 President Donald Trump delivers remarks to military families at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Friday, February 13, 2026.
Trump's Immigration Approval Hits Record Low Amid Controversy

Related Stories

No stories found.
Inter Bellum News
interbellumnews.com